Tuesday, December 2, 2014

God's Will For You (Part 5)

 The last 4 days we've looked at God's will for us. And today we will use those lessons to help us create a system for making decisions. The original question was , "So when it comes to making practical, day-to-day decisions how do we know if something is God’s will?"

Begin by submitting yourself to be transformed by replacing what’s in your mind with the Word of God. Ask what God’s believes about it by seeking His Word. You have to know his character and the only way to know his character is to abide in him---diligently, deeply, passionately! If you commit 5 minutes a day to God, he will begin there. But as time goes on your heart will desire more and more of him. You’ll long for more time in His word. You will take him with you into each setting you encounter because more of him exists in you!

Then when making decisions you ask--
1. Does it align with God’s Character?
2. Does it serve God first, others next and then myself? Matthew 22:37-39
3. Check my motives.
  • Will my decision, purchase, act, desire bring glory to God above all else? Does it exalt him and  humble me?
  • Will it honor others and show them Christ in me? If others are involved, does it make them better, more holy? 
  •  Is it for my own pleasure, power or prestige?  Remember God wants us to die to our fleshly                                  desires and he hates pride. “To fear the Lord is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech. Proverbs 8:13”
  • Is it motivated by love?
    • 1 Corinthians 13:-8 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not   proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.
4. Does it promote personal integrity? Is it honoring to myself?
  • Integrity is the state of being whole or undivided. If my heart’s desire is to serve the Lord then I have to live with integrity. Does the decision I’m making reflect my desire to serve God in all areas of my life (Spiritual, thoughts, marriage, sex, parenting, finances/spending, media, conversation/speech, job, relationships, hobbies).

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!