Saturday, July 12, 2014

Sound Asleep


"Why are you sleeping?" he asked them. "Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation." 
Luke 22:46

Jesus headed out to the Mount of Olives to pray. His 12 disciples had come along with him. As they reach the garden he told them, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation." Jesus went on into the garden a little ways, knelt, and began to pray. It was at that time that he surrendered his will to his Father. He knew what was to come and only through prayer could he align his will with his Father's. God sent an angel to strengthen Jesus. Yet, even after the appearance of the angel, Jesus continued to pray. He prayed to the point of sweating blood. At this point he was worn out both physically and emotionally. 

As he returned to the disciples he found them sleeping. Now, one would think that being exhausted himself he would have pity on them because they were so tired that they slept in the garden. But no! Jesus wakes them and restates the phrase that he had spoken to them as they entered the garden; "Pray that you will not fall into temptation."

And then, "Wham!" within moments- while Jesus was still waking the disciples- a crowd showed up and Judas betrayed Jesus. Jesus had warned the disciples to pray through the night. He had told them that temptation knocked at their door, yet they slept.

What about you? Will you fall into temptation because you were sleeping? Not that I only mean physically sleeping. I for one don't sleep well, so when I sleep I don't want to be awakened. But when I'm awake in the night I try my best to pray. But, what about spiritual sleeping? Are you complacent in your spiritual life? Do you tell someone you'll pray but then you forget? Are you remembering to pray prayers of praise and prayers of continued freedom from temptation? There is much to be prayed about and woe to us if we are found spiritually sleeping! 

Recently I found out that I could create reminders on my phone. I've started using them to prompt me every half an hour to pray for a specific person or situation. I love it! Not that these things aren't important enough to remember, but by creating a reminder I am more faithful, fervent prayer. Life gets busy, chaos of the day consumes me at times and this helps me keep focus! If you don't have a phone, strategically place sticky notes around your home, car, and work place. Breath prayers (those that can be said in one breath, "Lord draw Tim unto you!") keep us connected to Jesus and keep our petitions before his throne. 

So today I say, "Wake up friend and pray that you stay connected to Jesus and do not fall into temptation."

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!