Tuesday, July 8, 2014

A Love Of the Word

"May your hand be ready to help me, for I have chosen your precepts. I long for your salvation, Lord, and your law gives me delight." Psalm 119:173-174

If I had talked to you about 3 years ago and you mentioned Psalm 119 I would have smiled and confidently told you what I knew about this chapter of the Bible. It would have sounded something like this: "It is the longest chapter of the Bible. It has 176 verses and covers about 8 pages!" Then I might have stood back to see if you were impressed with my biblical knowledge.

Today if you asked me about Psalm 119 I'd tell you an entirely different message.  It would go like this…
Psalm 119 is a cry from the heart of David. David was a man who failed not once but made mistake after mistake. He feared enemies who threatened his life. David however loved God's word. He loved to read it, to memorize it, and meditate on it. David knew that wisdom and discernment in battle came from being prepared in advance. He also knew that in the heat of decision making, he had to know the word of God so that it could be recalled to his mind and lead him where God wanted him to go. I would tell you that I love Psalm 119 because I too have found that when I'm in the battles of life, God's word is my light and my protection. When I wake at night afraid of what tomorrow will bring it is God's word that comforts me. When I'm uncertain of decisions that I have to make, I seek the wisdom of God's word. When I see the hand of God, it is often the praises of David that help me celebrate God's goodness. Like David, I make lots of mistakes, but it is my love for God's word and dependence on his promises that set my heart right time and again. 

The difference between my interpretation of Psalm 119 is the result of life's trials leading me to my knees where God's word has proven itself faithful time and time again. It's the transition from head knowledge about God to heart knowledge where his word came alive within me.

I don't know where you are today in your knowledge of Christ and the love of his Father, but I do know that if you spend time in his word, like David and myself, you will fall in love with the goodness of his love written down for you in the Bible. Verse 72 says, "The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold." Do you long to love God's word this way? Then begin by asking him to deepen that desire and he will be more than delighted to honor your request.

Dear Lord,
Your Word is a written reminder to us of your love. It holds the guidance and assurance we need. It is your faithful promises to us. Deepen our desire to love your law. Though we will falter and fail, your word is steadfast and true. Teach us Lord, and draw us into your word each day. 
In the precious name of Jesus we pray, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!