Monday, July 14, 2014

Confident and Alert!

You make my feet run as fast as those of deer,
And you help me stand on the mountains. 
Psalm 18:33 CEV


As we sat at the table in the sunroom my aunt's eyes lit up as she saw a deer passing through our backyard. The woods is about a half mile back from our home with only fields between, so I think I'm safe in saying that we haven't had deer in our yard before. Right now our lot is surrounded by corn on three sides. I believe the deer must have gotten lost in the cornfield and was trying to reach the woods. 
As we watched her, I was so amazed by her grace and confidence. She strode across the yard with her head held high. Her gait was strong and steady. But then she stopped. Her ears pricked up and she stood still. She was on high alert. Perhaps she heard us as we marveled over her beauty. After the slightest moment she meandered on her way toward the woods.

As I thought about her during the day I was impressed with her confidence; she was alone in new territory yet confident. Then I thought about her pause to see what was going on in her surroundings before continuing on her way. There was my lesson! 

In Christ, I can confidently move throughout my day even when I'm alone or charting new territory. However, I need to be aware of what is going on around me. Do I need to ask the Lord for directions? Is there a tempting situation ahead in which I need protection? As I move throughout my day, like the deer, I need to pause and spend a moment with the Lord before going on my way. 

Dear Lord,
Thank you so very much for the beauty and grace of your creation. Thank you for teaching me to rest in you as I go about the day, pausing to reflect and refocus on you. Amen and Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!