Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Write It Down!

These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your forehead. Write them on the doorposts of your home and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6:6-9

I love these verses and God has put them before me frequently in the last few months. These verses tell us the value of writing down God's word, meditating on it, and sharing it with our children. 
Some years ago, I began journaling my time with God. I wasn't faithful at first. It was hit and miss. Usually I'd journal in a crisis! But in the last year, I've started writing down each scripture that I get throughout the day. I can then pray on each one. I can ask God to show me which ones to take to a deeper level of understanding and which ones to wait on. 
What I love the most is that, just like we do as earthly parents, God tends to repeat himself if something is important. For example, how many times have you told your child not to talk to strangers or to stay away from the pond unless a grown up is around. If it's important, we repeat ourselves time and again. 
Since I've started writing God's word down as he speaks it to me, I've begun to notice when he's repeating things for my good. If I get a scripture once, I pray on it. If I get it twice, I can be sure God wants my attention, and I tune into that message more intently. In the last few weeks I've received a scripture twice from my devotions and once from a trusted friend. You can bet I'm moving on that word from the Lord!
I can also look at all the things he's telling me in a collective group rather than taking a scripture and trying to apply it in isolation to my specific situation- which by the way is not the way to use the word of God. God's word acts as a whole. By writing down verses along with my prayers and thoughts, I can share with my accountability partner what I believe God is telling me and then she can pray specifically with me. 
The above scripture tells us to "Write them (God's words) on the doorposts of your home and on your gates." Today I encourage you to get a notebook and begin writing. Record God's word spoken to you through devotions, Godly friends, sermons, etc. Then revisit these daily to get a better understanding of what it is that God wants you to know and do!
If it's important… write it down!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!