Thursday, June 19, 2014

Well Rounded Christian


The definition of nourishment is: the substances necessary for growth, health and good condition; the action of nourishing someone or something.  When I think of nourishing my body I immediately imagine eating healthy foods, and  drinking plenty of water.  While this is all good for our physical body there is a very important part of us that we many times forget.  Our spiritual well being needs nourished as well as our physical.  I found this scripture last night and realized that while in every occasion nourishment means taking things in, spiritual nourishment involves both taking in and giving out.

Meanwhile the disciples were urging Jesus to eat.  "No", he said, "I have food you don't know about."
"Who brought it to him?" the disciples asked each other.
Then Jesus explained, "My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, Who sent me, and from finishing His work.
John 34:31-34

The food Jesus was speaking of was related to His spiritual nourishment and it involved more than bible study, prayer and attending church.  Spiritual nourishment comes from doing the will of God.  It is not just taking in all the good things God has to offer.  While that is all very important and helps us grow in our relationship with Him, giving to God and following His commands will help us become well rounded, spiritually nourished individuals.  Life is a work in progress.  God's plan is always in progress and we are all a part of that plan.  It is our duty, as christians, to help carry out God's plan for salvation.  So next time you want to get closer to God and you feel like pampering yourself remember your spiritual needs.  Ask God what you can do for Him.  Tell Him you want to live in His will and ask Him to lead you.  Don't just think of the things you can take in and gather for yourself but use those things to give back to God and His plan for His people.  

Dear God, help me to remember my spiritual needs as well as my physical.  Remind me of Your will for my life and the people and things around me that need Your love and support.  You have given me this body to be used for You and I want to live in Your will.......doing the things that please You and help your plan for the world and Your people.  In Jesus' Name....Amen

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!