Friday, June 27, 2014

Forgiveness Doesn't Remove One's Consequences

I have been thinking about forgiveness lately and I read a devotion that seemed to clarify something for me and as I thought long about it I realized that a lot of people may be withholding their forgiveness because they feel as if doing so takes away the persons consequences.  For me, I would say the biggest reason I ever have in forgiving a person is because I want to make them suffer for what they have done.  I want them to feel bad for hurting me, as if my anger and inability to forgive will be a consequence to his or her choice.  I was reminded of God's forgiveness and how it comes immediately when we ask, but there is still usually a consequence to our choices.  Consequences are a direct result of one's actions and choices so we have no control over the consequences of someone else's actions.  Forgiving isn't saying you are going to pretend it didn't happen.  Forgiving isn't allowing someone to continue hurting you.  Forgiving gives you freedom to love like Jesus did.

I was relieved to see that forgiving someone isn't pretending he didn't hurt me and it is not taking away any consequence to his actions.  He will still have to deal with the hurt he caused and there will still be a chance for him to repent of that and learn from his mistake.  What a relief to know that I am not a part of that process and I don't have to hold his sin over his head or continue to remind him what he did wrong.  It isn't up to my hate and withholding my forgiveness to teach him where he was wrong.  It is God's position to convict and our position is to forgive. 

Do not judge others, and God will not judge you; do not condemn others and God will not condemn you; forgive others and God will forgive you.
Luke 6:37

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!