Thursday, June 5, 2014

Shallow Soil


One Day Jesus told this story to a large crowd that had gathered from many towns to hear him: "A farmer went out to plant some seed.  As he scattered it across his field, some seed fell on a footpath, where it was stepped on, and the birds came and ate it.  Other seed fell on shallow soil with underlying rock.  This seed began to grow, but soon it withered and died for lack of moisture.  Other seed fell among thorns that shot up and choked out the tender blades.  Still other seed fell on fertile soil.  This seed grew and produced a crop one hundred times as much as had been planted."  When he had said this, he called out, "Anyone who is willing to hear should listen and understand!"
Luke 4:4-8

For a good portion of my life I was like shallow soil.  I heard God's word in church and through bible study, but it never penetrated my heart.  Even words of salvation and grace were familiar to me and I accepted them as gifts but it wasn't until I allowed God's word to travel from my head to my heart that I really understood them and let them transform me and my way of thinking.  God's word had moments of falling on me and like the shallow soil they entered my head where I was able to think of them from time to time but as soon as they tried penetrating my heart the sin and my ideas of fun got in the way.  Those "rocks" didn't allow His words to enter my heart and so there I sat for too long knowing about God but not knowing Him and feeling His presence in my life.  When I was shallow soil God's word didn't affect me enough to change my behavior.  So many years of my sin and problems and my burning desire to find God began cultivating me and when I decided I wanted to change God began working on me, turning me and little by little He added new fresh soil until I became fertile soil. Once God's word entered my heart I was able to apply it to my life.  It gave me a new perspective and now I am able to place my whole life on Him.  I encourage you to open your bibles and read this scripture and continue into Jesus' explanation of the soils.  I ask you to read the helpers and study each verse until you understand what Jesus is sharing.  What kind of soil are you?  What kind of soil do you want to be?  

Dear God thank you for your Word that I may grow closer to you and in my understanding of you.  God, you were patient with me in those time when I was rocky, and thorny.  I ask you to continue working on me and cultivating my life so that I will continue growing closer to you.  I love you and all that my life holds in your promises.  You are my firm foundation!  Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!