Friday, February 21, 2014

Taming The Tongue



Understand this my dear brothers and sisters; you must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry.                                            James 1:19
As I was driving in an unfamiliar town the other day I realized the lane I was in was coming to an end.  I had the only natural response......I sped up and tried to pass the car beside me.  Well that person was determined to be the leader of that lane so he sped up too!  I quickly let off the gas as I was running out of lane and let him go by then proceeded to change lanes.  Let's just say I got an angry expression thrown my way and probably not so nice words to go along with it.  I really could care less where I was in the lane, I just needed to go somewhere before I was in the grass but unfortunately my "neighbor" had a different opinion.  I immediately felt sadness for him because he took that so seriously and let it get him so worked up.  I thought about his whole day and how he must not be a very happy person inside if me changing lanes,at the last minute, made him that angry.  I especially thought that if he knew I was not from that town and wasn't familiar with that lane ending he would totally understand............yes I am that optimistic ;) 
Well I was convicted of my own moments where I had lost my cool too soon and angry words spewed from my mouth.  I was taken back to the times when I would prematurely assume things or begin to speak before knowing the whole story.  I'm not naturally an angry, negative person but we all have our moments and I fell to my knees asking God to forgive me for my imperfections.  I was also led to this passage from scripture that speaks volumes!  Not only about being angry........it summarizes who we are with Christ living in us and how we can't have curses and blessings flowing from our mouths!  It made me realize the dangers of the tongue and the huge trouble something so small can make.  I want to leave you with James 3:5-12 to meditate on and think about today.  I believe as God's children we are expected to tame our tongue and think before speaking and only let love and encouragement flow from our lips.  It's not a natural response, all the time, and it certainly isn't an easy task, but it says here that no-one can draw fresh water from a salty spring.........no-one can be encouraged by us or be lead to God through us if we are saying nasty, unkind, negative things.  Let this scripture improve the person you are today.  Allow it to penetrate deep into your heart and mind and decide to change your habits and dealings with people.  I know it has made me think a lot!  But  living for God is more than just knowing what to do.......it is acting on what we know is right.  And so dear friends I am praying for you today.  I love you!   
James 3:5-12
In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand speeches. But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire. And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body. It can set your whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself.  7 People can tame all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and fish, but no one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison. Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. 10 And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right! 11 Does a spring of water bubble out with both fresh water and bitter water? 12 Does a fig tree produce olives, or a grapevine produce figs? No, and you can’t draw fresh water from a salty spring.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!