Saturday, February 15, 2014

Speak Life!





Do not use harmful words, but only helpful words the kind that build up and provide what is needed, so that what you say will do good to those who hear you. 
Ephesians 4:29

When I first read this it is only natural to apply it to my conversations with other people, but today God has laid a different perspective on my heart.  I had a conversation with a friend recently and I was concerned with her attitude regarding a situation, in which she was anticipating bad news.  It is a place we have all been in.  The time when we want to get excited about something but past results tell us otherwise.  We begin to get very cautious and claim we don’t want to get our hopes up.  I questioned my friends trust at that moment but she stated that she believed and trusted God, but she was just being realistic.  I absolutely understood what she meant and I agreed with her.  I was in no place to blame her for being cautious with her emotions.  No one likes to be excited about something and then be let down.  Like when you are so looking forward to that Big Mac and fries but the rest of the family votes for Taco Bell, it can be heart breaking.  

The scripture above speaks not only of our conversations with others but with our personal dialogue.  When applying it to our thoughts or the things we say about our own circumstances, it takes that cautious idea and throws it out the window of a speeding train.  What is in your heart determines what you say (Luke 6:45).  Maybe our hearts don’t really believe that God can help us.  When we state we don’t want to get our hopes up it makes me question what or who our hopes are in.  We should never put our hopes in anything or anyone besides God.  People will eventually let us down, worldly things will disappoint us but God will always keep His word.  If we are trusting in God then we should let our hopes run wild!  He cannot let us down if we trust in His knowledge and perfect plan.  Yes our circumstance may not go as planned but if our hope is in God he will see to it that we get through it.  Further more, I looked up the meaning of realistic and found that it's having or showing a sensible and practical idea of what can be achieved or expected.  I questioned where the term fits into God's vocabulary.  The more I thought about it, realistic seemed more like a word limited to human understanding and well, God is above all that. 

Here are a few more scriptures speaking of the tongue and how powerful our words are.  I encourage you to speak life into your situations.  Next time you find yourself speaking or thinking negatively stop and think about who or what your hope lies in.  If it is anything or anyone but God wipe those thoughts away and focus on God’s promises.  Speak life! The words of the Godly lead to life! (Proverbs 10:11)  


Those who love to talk will experience the consequences, for the tongue can kill or nourish life. 
 Proverbs 18:21

Some people make cutting remarks; but the words of the wise bring healing. 
Proverbs 12:18



Dear God,  set a guard over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips. (Psalm 141:3)  Amen and amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!