Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Pointing Others to God During Difficult Times

As all the men of Judah stood before the Lord with their little ones, wives and children,
2 Chronicles 20:13

I love this story of King Jehosephat facing a huge battle that, without the help of God, would be impossible to win.  I love how desperate he was when he heard the news that three large armies were on their way to attack his people.  He ordered the people of Judah to fast and  begged the Lord for guidance (2 Chron. 20:3) He stood before his community and cried out to the Lord as He prayed, "O Lord, God of our ancestors, you alone are the God who is in heaven.  You are ruler of all the kingdoms of the earth.  You are powerful and mighty; no one can stand against you!" (2 Chron 20:6)  

The thought of all of this gives me chills.  Jehosephat chose God above all other resources and possibilities.  He was in charge of leading a many people to chosing God first.  In this moment of worry and threat he lead his people to believe God was in charge and that God was capable of saving them even though the enemy was fast approaching.  It makes me think of my problems and especially the ones that include more people than just myself.  I have a godly responsibility to point to God as my saving source and strength.  In my moments of fear I have two choices......God or man.  I can look to man for answers or look to God.  God may very well lead me to man, but going to Him first will give us peace and guidance in our situations.  And it wasn't just a few people in the community that he had influence on.  In the scripture above it states: "all the men of Judah stood before the Lord with their little ones, wives and children"  King Jehosephat in his confidence and faith led a whole community into believing that God was the only answer to their problem.  

If we continue the story we can see that they were so sure in God that they led their army with singing and praising because they were so thankful for the battle they were sure to win by God's hands.  I am encouraged to see the results of a good and faithful believer.  I want my life to mirror that of this moment in Jehosephat's carreer when he pointed people from the worry and devestation to trusting in the One God who had the power to save them.  I wish to do this in my fear and hard times.  I want to gather all of my littles and friends and their families and pray to God for the things we need.  I want to be able to share a belief so concrete that it doesn't matter what I am standing up against, I can be confident in God's ability to save me in what ever way He sees fit.  

In preparation I will pray to Him and spend time with Him and trust in His Words to me through wise counsel and the bible.  And I will count on my accountability partner to keep my mind on right thinking.  Yes, it's true......I am not always positive.  I am not always putting God first, especially when my mind wanders and allows satan to discourage or attack me.  I have a friend who can see that on my face, who can hear that in my voice and understand that because she herself has been there too.  I can't express the importance of an accountability partner to get us through life's ups and downs!  It's just so darn essential!!

Think upon your life.  What can you do to be more like King Jehosephat?  Pray on it, ask God to show you and be willing to change.  Grab hold of your faith and flourish!  Grab hold of your faith and share it with the men, their little ones, wives and children :)  


reading from 2 Chronicles 20                 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!