Friday, November 13, 2015

Don't Be Double Minded

But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.   James 1:6-8



Doubt. That small voice in your mind that puts things you once felt sure of into question. That voice that tells you God can do it, but makes you wonder, "How or when will he?' 

Doubt has plagued me for so much of my life. I've had to retrain my brain to respond differently when doubt sets in. I've had to replace the doubt with scripture and turn my thoughts to the past where I've seen God work in amazing and beautiful ways. I may not know how God will work out a situation, but I must constantly choose to trust that he will.

James tells us that doubt is double-mindedness, and that we shouldn't expect to receive anything from God when we doubt. I believe this is because we are serving 2 gods (ourself and the need to control) instead of 1 Capital G God, who is faithful to hear our prayers! Wavering in our faith is exhausting because we are tossing back and forth like the rolling winds of the sea. 

If you ask God, then make a decision that He will answer. It's a choice to believe and not doubt. Doubt is a lack of trust in God.

I heard it explained this way this week... If a man were pushing a wheelbarrow over Niagra Falls on a tightrope, you might have faith that he could do it. But to really trust him you'd have to be willing to ride in the wheelbarrow.

You may have faith that God will act. But trusting is leaving it at his feet and going on with life as if he's already answered! 

Dear Lord,
I do not want to doubt. Help me in my unbelief.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!