Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Lukewarm?

I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold.  I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. 
Revelation 3:15-16

These are words spoken by Jesus in a letter that John was instructed to write to the church in Laodicea.  Jesus was tired of the people's choice to remain lukewarm in their faith.  His warning to the church was to that if they remain unenthusiastic, or indifferent about God's commands and their faith, they would be spit out, or disowned by God.  Jesus knew everything about the people of Laodicea just like he knows everything about us.  He knows our hearts just like he knew the Laodiceans'.  Is it possible He is speaking this to our own lives right now?

This letter goes on to address the church's heavy reliance on material wealth.  Jesus convicts them of living for gods of money, status and material objects instead of living a life of faith with the One God, the only God who gives everlasting life.  But His conviction is with compassion and concern and in the end He says this, "I correct and discipline everyone I love.  So be diligent and turn from your indifference." (Revelation 3:19)

Let's see how closely we may resemble the church of Laodicea.  Indifference is a lack of interest, concern or sympathy; in regards to God, it is putting other things before Him as if He is unimportant.  Over time indifference will lead to idleness.  With regard to faith, idleness means one is inactive or not in use.  That faith might as well be thrown away because it is without purpose.  And this person without faith is, therefore, wandering aimlessly through life.  How many times have you felt this way, or are you currently living this way?  I have most certainly been in the Laodiceans' shoes.  In fact, I have been in their shoes longer than I have not.  My life, before I really came to a personal relationship with God, was indifferent.  I had faith, but it wasn't strong enough to keep me from making sinful decisions.  I wasn't growing in my faith, but sitting idle, being tossed by the waves around, me making compromises and choices that conflicted with who I said I was.  At times I put my faith in other people, including myself, and in material things.  My life was without purpose!  I was a lukewarm christian.  And Jesus spit me out!  How alarming to see that had I been cold he would have continued His pursuit of me because I wouldn't have known any better, and had I been hot he would have continued blessing me and leading me, but as a lukewarm, I had no excuse.  I couldn't blame it on the fact that I didn't know who God was, I was raised in church.  Everyday I was choosing to live my life and when I thought I was going somewhere I was really sitting idle.  When I thought the things I was pursuing and the places I was going were all things that would give me success in life, I was poorly mistaken!  I wasn't heading for anything productive.  I was wandering aimlessly through life always looking for a way to get further ahead but never knowing it was God I really needed to make me rich.  I had lost all concern for right and wrong, and even convinced myself the wrong was right.  I was inactive.  

Look!  I stand at the door and knock.  If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends.
Revelation 3:20

Maybe you were like this at one time in your life.  Maybe you are currently experiencing this idleness.   Regardless, it is never too late to make a change.  God will never turn you down if you reach for Him.  He will never give up on you.  His love and patience surpasses any and He knocks at the door of your heart every day.  It is never too late to open the door and let Jesus enter.  Have that meal together as friends and start up a real relationship with him.  Read His Word everyday and get to know him on a personal level.  Give your life purpose and stop wandering aimlessly.  Get active and start living as a Hot Christian!  If you have any questions as to how to start up a relationship with God please email us.  We would love to guide you along and encourage your walk.                  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!