Friday, January 16, 2015

Genuine Love


This past weekend my "large" family had a chance to spend an entire day gathered at our home. My great aunt came. All my mother's siblings came, and 9 of 13 cousins and their families were able to come! It was a blessed day to say the least. I couldn't hold back the tears of thankfulness and joy. It had been a long time since we had all gathered.
As I reflected on the day, one image stood out in my mind, and it was actually the only photo (unfortunately) that I had taken all day. Here it is...


This is my cousin's daughter, Chloe. She's holding my grandson, Jax. Can you see the joy on her face! I just love it! What made this image stand out in my mind was the way Chloe scooted up on the bench next to me and just waited until I offered for her to hold Jax. And then, a simple smile said it all! "Yes, I want to hold that baby!" Chloe is only 7, but she loves little children. She just couldn't keep herself away from the little babies that day. She carried them on her hip, read them stories, and helped them with their supper. My heart is delighted at her genuine love! It wasn't forced or half-hearted. She didn't care what others thought of her, she just had to hold and love on that little baby. I know that's exactly how I would have been as a little girl too!

As I replayed Chloe's love over and over, I had to ask myself, "Why don't I respond to adults the way Chloe did to other kids." I'm saddened to think that I don't just let God's love take over at times. I worry about what others will say, I feel inadequate to offer love to another adult, or I just get plain scared. My prayer today is asking God to help me have that love that just scoots in next to someone waiting until I can love on them! I want that bold, Godly love that reaches out and offers without abandon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!