Friday, January 23, 2015

Her Constant

After a few weeks of transitioning to her parents home, we are saying good bye to our foster baby today.  As I've spent the last two days watching her every move, trying to freeze pictures into my mind that I don't ever want to forget, I noticed she was holding so tightly to her blankie.  More so than usual, she has had a death grip on it since the last overnight visit with her parents.  In my moment of watching her move it from one hand to the other, without letting go of it, I realized that was her constant.  Her blankie was the one thing in her life that was not changing.  Her bed was changing from time to time, the house she was staying in was different, the people she was spending time with was changing and the toys she played with were different.  Her blankie was the only thing she knew would be there where ever she went.  She could count on having that thing no matter what bed she slept in, no matter what house she was in, who she was with or what she was playing with.  Her constant,  in a world of many changes, was a small burp rag made by a wonderful lady in our church.  What started out as just a cute rag, instead of the boring white, cloth diaper, has turned out to be the most precious gift in my foster child's life.  It will be the one thing that comforts her as she leaves the only home she has ever really known, the only family she has ever really known, and start over with her parents.  As my heart breaks and I try to imagine life without her in our home I think of my constant.  What or who will I turn to to keep me feeling safe and comforted?  Immediately I whisper, "Jesus".  He is my constant, my Rock that can never be moved from my life.  His Word is always on my heart taking it with me wherever I go.  People may leave me, material objects may become lost but Jesus can never leave my heart.  Whatever I am facing, where ever I am in life, I am never alone.  No person, no situation, nothing can take Jesus from me.  He does not change...........my Constant.

Be merciful to me, O Lord, for I am calling on you constantly.  
Psalm 86:3               

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!