Friday, January 1, 2016

Like the Wind

As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the maker of all things. Ecclesiastes 11:5

As I sit at my desk looking out at the landscape before me, my eyes are drawn to the grass bending in the wind. It approaches from the south and my are are caught up in the wispy bend of the blades as they fall to the ground under the force of the wind. And just as my eyes catch the rhythm of the wind and move forward in anticipation, the wind shifts and the blades bend to the east and to the west. My mind wonders if I saw that movement incorrectly. Shouldn't the wind have kept moving in a northbound path? I am amazed by the sudden change of direction.

I move my eyes back to the south and again the wind mashes the grass down in its path. Soon though, the blades bend to the west as the pattern changes. I feel a still voice call out to my heart that the wind is unpredictable and I am reminded of this verse:

As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the maker of all things. Ecclesiastes 11:5

I am the queen of "why" and "what" when things happen in this crazy thing called life. I try to understand, dissect and determine what God is doing and why he has allowed various events. I don't want to make mistakes. I don't want to miss something he is telling or teaching me. I don't want to 'get it wrong' again. But my ways are not God's ways. I can't understand what he's doing and why he changes directions. I cannot even know where he is leading. My role is to follow.  I can simply sit in amazement and watch as he works.

Can you sit in awe of God, or must you too try to uncover the mystery of his all-knowing, all-divine ways? Let us pray today for peace in knowing his sovereignty.

Dear Lord,
Help me to rest in your sovereignty. Teach me to trust without the questions of "What?" and "Why?"
Show me how to rest in your ways.
Ame

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!