Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The Greatest Love

"I love my coworker, but he is so rude. I just can't take him anymore."
"I love my brother, but he is such a poor choice maker. I just can't stand it."
"I love the people who I work with, but they are so unreasonable that I just can't do this job another
     day."

All day long I hear the word 'love', but do we really love?

Love is this...
     A man murders your sister, so you lay your life down in order that he can be set free.
     A thief takes all of your belongings and destroys your home, and in exchange you serve his life
        sentence.
     A once called friend slanders your name across town, and in response you carpool her children
        when her car is broken down along the freeway.

Love is this...
     A sibling makes unwise choices, and you help pick up the broken pieces without question.
     Your spouse short changes you, and you clean the house and do extra tasks without being asked.
     Your loud, annoying coworker just won't stop talking, and you bring him coffee the next morning
         and thank him for helping finish the project on time.

You see, love looks past the sin and sees a soul that was created by a loving God. Love overcomes the sin and cherishes the sinner. Love cares more for others than self!

And what is more, the greatest love is this...
     Christ, bloody and bruised, for your sin, your mess-ups, your lies, and your unkind actions.
     It is Christ, on a cross, for your imperfections, your murderous thoughts, your selfishness, and
          your pride.
     It is Christ, God in flesh, dying on a cross so you can begin each day with a fresh, righteous and
          holy slate.
     Love is God, turning his back in unbearable, excruciating pain as his son suffered mocking,
          beatings, humiliating taunts, for your foolish and careless actions.
     God, in Christ, is love.

I accentuated the word 'your' because it sure is easier to overlook someone else's sin and annoyances when you remember that it was for your sin that Christ suffered and died. He died for all of us. We were each on his mind as he journeyed to Golgotha and hung on that rugged cross. Oh, how great a love is this!

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that anyone who believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16


Dear Jesus,
I confess that I am quick to judge, selfish with the love you generously give to me, and petty about others offenses. Give me eyes that see the value of each one I come in contact with today. Help me to live in the freedom of your grace, but let my sin never be so far from my memory that I forget the grace that you have shown me. Oh, Lord, teach me to love well. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!