Friday, October 21, 2016

Fools Rush In

The way of fools seem right to them,
but the wise listen to advice.
Proverbs 12:15 (NIV)

Fools are headstrong and do what they like;
wise people take advice. (MSG)


I have been so foolish. I look back on times in my life and realize that I rushed into situations without seeking wise counsel. I thought I knew, so I acted. Only to find out later that I was misinformed or that I misread a situation. Even when God clearly gave me scripture, I assumed it meant one thing, yet found out later he intended it to mean something else. Even in prayer we can rush into folly.

Just because you’ve been praying for a new home doesn’t mean the first one on the market is the one God wants you to buy. Perhaps you are afraid of being alone, so you rush into a relationship instead of waiting for the one God wants for you. Maybe a coworker rebukes you harshly, and you react rashly, knowing she needs to hear the words on your tongue, instead of waiting to respond in a way that is wise. Purchases on credit are often foolish. Failure to talk a situation through with wise counsel is sure to end in foolishness. Wise people wait and make decisions with the help of Godly people.

God is patient. He never rushes. Panic is not part of God’s character. As God works in you he will teach us to be patient and wise in your decisions. Where are you today? Are you a fool who rushes in? Or, are you growing in wisdom such that you find yourself waiting and seeking wise advice from God and Godly people?

Lord,

I confess my foolishness. I have rushed into situations when you were directing me elsewhere. I have spent money foolishly to meet a desires. I have spoken in harmful ways as I reacted to situations instead of prayerfully responding. Slow me down, Lord. Make me wise in all ways. And especially humble me to talk to others for wise counsel. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!