Friday, September 30, 2016

Dance Your Heart Out

And David danced before the Lord with all his might, wearing a priestly garment.
2 Samuel 6:14

Yes! He danced with all his might before the Lord!  David was overflowing with joy in the Lord and He was not afraid to dance in front of a huge crowd.  What a sight that must have been.  We can only imagine through what we have personally experienced.  Christian concerts watching the band singing their hearts out dancing on stage, performing for an audience of One in front of thousands.  The people around you dancing and crying out their praises through music and dancing.  Maybe every Sunday dawns these expressions of praise as your congregation breaks out in worshipful dance.  Take all of your experiences and play this scripture in your head.  A king and leader, a man after God's heart, a father, a husband, a friend......dancing with all his might because of his abundant love of the Lord.  What does that look like to you?  Does is bring a smile to your face, maybe tears to your eyes?  

Friends I love the thought of this man dancing like crazy for God.  Not only do I try to picture David but I also see women and children and a whole community dancing their hearts out!  I look at my own life and imagine myself dancing this way in thankful expression for my Father in heaven.  Will I get embarassed when I realize who is watching me?  Will I feel shame for looking silly in front of a crowd?  My dream is to answer this with a resounding NO.  My dream is for us all to worship God with our hands lifted high and our feet leaving the ground in glorious praise because God is the One True God.  He is awesome!  

Not only did David dance with all his might.  He was confident and didn't care who was looking.  He was so focused in on God that worrying about who was watching, or how he looked, didn't have an effect on him.  He did not care that Saul's daughter, Michal, criticized him telling him that he looked like a street dancer and that he should be ashamed for exposing himself that way to the women on the street.  Saul's response was perfect: "Yes, I am willing to look even more foolish than this, even to be humiliated in my own eyes!  But those servent girls you mentioned will indeed think I am distinquished!'  Maybe he sounds too confident, and to some on the arrogant side, but I love that he didn't care!  I want to not care!  I want us all to have so much faith in God that we are not afraid to dance with all our might in front of people.  I want us to be able to express our love and gratitude for God, to others, in a way that looks crazy to people who don't understand.  I want us to dance and sing for God through our loving serventhood to the people in our communities and throughtout the world.  Like David let us all say, "In God's presence I'll dance all I want! Oh yes I'll dance to God's glory - more recklessly even than this.  And as far as I'm concerned.........I'll gladly look like a fool".  
    


No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!