Monday, July 18, 2016

The Heart God Desires

"This is the one I esteem;
he who is humble and contrite in spirit
and trembles at my word." 
Psalm 66:2

These are the words of the Lord. He seeks hearts that are humble. He desires those who are contrite in spirit. Do you know what that means? It means God is seeking hearts that are repentant, remorseful and conscience-striken. He desires hearts that fear his word and are quick to obey. 

This scripture is a gauge for our heart's condition. Are you humble before the Lord? Bowing low and giving him the due honor and respect of which our God is worthy. Are you repentant and remorseful when you break his laws. Does sin cause you to feel conscience-stricken as you read the word of the Lord?

You see, if God's word does nothing for us...there is an issue to be dealt with! God's word is alive and active. It should move us forward to purity and holiness. If reading the word of the Lord doesn't invoke change then it is a sign of a hard heart. However, God can change of heart of stone to a heart of flesh. He can remove the callouses and give life to a heart that is hard.

We all have callouses- places in our heart that are hardened due to hurt or fear. Places that need the redeeming touch of our God. So where do we begin? We begin with a prayer and these words from David are perfect! 

Create in me a pure heart, O God, 
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
Psalms 51:10-12

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!