Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Stay with God!

I'm sure now I'll see God's goodness in the exuberant earth.  Stay with God!  Take heart.  Don't quit.  I'll say it again: Stay with God!
-Psalm 27:14 MSG-

Today starts Lent, the 40 days leading up to Christ's death and resurrection.  Many people hold traditions of fasting things during this time.  I grew up Catholic so I was always taught to give up meat on Fridays.  We were also encouraged to give something else up during that time.  As a child I never understood the real importance of this fast but as I have grown to know the Lord and understand His ways a little better, the fast takes on a whole new meaning for me.  I have come to realize that it isn't what we fast or what we commit to that really matters, it it the complete dependance on God to help us complete the task.  It is the focus on Him while we are dying to have that candy or big cup of fountain pop.  Handing over our desires to count on His strength to help us succeed.  The sacrifice that we make for God isn't always something we do or eat, a big one for most would be to sacrifice their time.  Maybe instead of giving up something tangible you could instead devote yourself to waking up 15 minutes early to read the bible and pray, or maybe you would decide send a card of encouragement every day for 40 days.  What ever you decide it must be some sort of sacrifice telling God that He is worth it to you.  Showing Him that you are devoted to knowing Him on a deeper level, therefore depending on Him to get you through the Lent season.  It is to draw you us closer to and to meditate on the sacrifice that He offered to save us from our sins and give us eternal life in Heaven.  And so today as you have chosen something to carry out for the next 40 days I want to encourage you to keep at it.  Like the scripture states above, stay with God!  Don't quit!  I want you to experience this Lent season like you have never before.  I want you to follow through and experience the amazing strength that comes with depending on God daily and I want you to enjoy Easter on a whole new level.  


Dear God, I offer you my sacrifice of _________________.  During this Lent season I want to depend on you to help me follow through with my end of the deal.  Draw me closer to You and give me a better understanding of Who you are in my life.  Show me the strength that I have in You and reveal to me all that you suffered for me so that I can better enjoy this Easter.  I love you.  Amen   

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!