Friday, February 20, 2015

Powerful Words

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29

As I was reading through Ephesians, this verse jumped out and has stuck with me the last several days. It makes me wonder if I am aware enough of my words. And the resounding answer is, "NO!" Paul not only cautions us to use clean words, but only words that build up the listener. We are to be a visible, vocal cheerleader at all times. Gossip, anger, put-downs, carelessly spoken words, and the like have no business coming off the tongue of a Christian. 
I have to admit that I can get caught up in my own little world, and it seems traumatic. I get hurt and the result is complaining. Someone offends me and my words in return can be sharp and hurtful. Throughout scripture we are warned of the power of the tongue. 

Our words hold the power to kill others. We actually wound and kill their spirit within them. 
     Psalm 64:3 They sharpen their tongues like swords and aim cruel words like deadly arrows.
    Proverbs 12:18 The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings  
                             healing.

We can also use our tongue to bring healing and life to another person. 
     Proverbs 15:4 The soothing tongue is a tree of life, but a perverse tongue crushes the spirit.
     Psalm 139:4 Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely.

As I work on this blog, I'm reminded that we do a lot of 'self-talk' also throughout the day. Do you compliment yourself as you pass the mirror or do you voice your faults and failures? Do you speak to  and of yourself in a manner that shows you are created in the image of God?

Our words are powerful. Are we being aware enough of what we say to ourselves and others? Are we being cautious enough as we speak about ourselves and others? 

Dear Lord,
Help me today to see the power in my words. Help me to make a conscious effort to monitor and filter what comes from my mouth. You have given me a spirit of self-control, and I ask that you help me use it at all times. When I fail, let me be quick to apologize and make the situation right with you and others. In your precious name I pray,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!