Monday, December 5, 2016

The First Snow



I love the first snowfall embodied with the crisp air and the flurry of flakes that fall to the ground creating a carpet of white. It is a carpet of beauty covering all that is dead and barren due to the cold of winter. I am filled with joy as the evergreens bear the weight of the snow upon their boughs and the feeling of Christmas rushes through my heart. And every year, I am reminded of the scripture from Psalm 51:7 which says,

 "Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; 
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow."

Hyssop is a plant that was used in Biblical times for medicinal and cleaning purposes. When hyssop is referenced in the Old Testament, it often bears the meaning of cleanliness or purity. In this passage, David is asking God for his cleansing through the removal of sin. David is repentant and seeking the forgiveness of the Lord. 

When I view the snow, sparkling and pure on the ground, I am reminded of the grace which we are given every single day. We sin, we ask for forgiveness, God responds with an exuberant "Yes!" and we are, in His eyes, washed whiter than snow. Glistening, untainted, beautifully white. Pure before our God! What an amazing gift we have been given! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!