Tuesday, December 20, 2016

God's Goodness

Surely Your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life. 
Psalm 23:6

I have to admit when I saw that my topic was goodness I was afraid that I wouldn’t have much to write.  Yes of course God is good but isn’t goodness the same as kindness?  I already wrote all I could on kindness, what more could I say about God’ goodness that wasn’t already mentioned on day 5?  Well, God has a different opinion and it is just amazing to see His work.  He had so much to teach me about goodness and I am blessed to get to share it with you!

Goodness is the quality of being good.  God displays this beneficial quality in His dealings with us and especially in our circumstances.  His goodness is our 7th gift of Christmas.  God is our model of moral excellency.  He made us in His image, therefore, we were engrained with this same moral compass.  This was our gift when we were first created.  But God did not stop there.  Throughout the bible there are tons of examples of God's goodness given to His people. One thing I found that most all of them have in common is that God’s goodness comes after someone messes up and/or after great suffering.  I came to understand Romans 8:28 at a deeper level today.  

And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God. 
Romans 8:28

I have heard this said millions of times and I have used it to encourage my friends, as well, but today God showed me just how this works.  I learned that this promise is not for everyone but only those Who love God.  Those people who have been called by God and have received His gift of salvation through Jesus Christ.  I also thought deeply about how God actually does work things out.  Not everything in life is good but God can turn every situation around.  He has one purpose and one goal and He will always work for our long range good, not to make us happy but because He loves us and He wants us, and He will do anything to fulfill His purpose. 

Job’s life is just one example of God’s goodness.  Job was a man of God.  He trusted God and had amazing faith but he would be tested and in one day lose everything.  Job was a father and a farmer and on one dark day he lost all of his animals, and all of his children.  If that wasn’t bad enough Job was then tested with a terrible case of boils all over his body.  He remained faithful through it all and was even persecuted by his own wife.  Job suffered for months (Job 7:3) but he stayed faithful and in the end God showed Him goodness.  In the second half of his life, Job was given twice as much as in the beginning (Job 42:10-17).

Although it is difficult to see God’s goodness during the heat of a crisis, the pain of loss or in the midst of our own sin, God is still right there.  His gift of goodness wins every time.  We can’t see the goodness when we are in the middle of turmoil but when we get through the pain, when we stand behind the situation and look at where God has moved us from, it is very evident that God is good.     

The Lord replied, “I will make all my goodness pass before you, and I will call out my name, ‘The Lord’, to you.  I will show kindness to anyone I choose, and I will show mercy to anyone I choose.  But you may not look directly at my face, for no one may see me and live.”  The Lord continued, “Stand here on this rock beside me.  As my glorious presence passes by, I will put you in the cleft of the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed.  Then I will remove my hand, and you will see me from behind.  But my face will not be seen.”
Exodus 33:19-23

We may not see God’s plan while we are in the middle of a painful situation.  We can’t possibly see Him working when we are dealing with the loss of a loved one or a terminal illness.  We can’t see God’s goodness when our spouse has just left us or we have lost our job.  A fallen world gives way to fallen situations that are unexplainable, but God’s goodness will show when we look at Him from behind.  When we step back and follow Him. When we watch God work and wait on Him we will see His goodness.  In hindsight God’s goodness shines!  Don’t ever give up or run from your situation, but instead search for Him and watch Him work.  Stay there and wait to see His goodness in the end!  Like mentioned before, God's goodness isn't for everyone but for those with the faith to trust Him and follow Him.  God's goodness is evident when we believe in Who He is and in His son Jesus Christ.  Because when we believe, we can see His work.......His goodness.  

Yet I am confident that I will see the Lord’s goodness while I am here in the land of the living.  
Psalm 23:6 



Dear God,  Thank you for your gift of goodness!  Please forgive me when I am in the middle of crisis and I'm too impatient to wait on your goodness.  When I am ready to give up because I am blinded by my circumstance.  Lord open my eyes to your goodness.  I want to trust you and I want to believe that even in my darkest hours You are good.  Help me to step back and follow you.  Help me to view you from behind and to look for Your work in my life.   Your goodness and unfailing love pursue me.  I will have goodness in every situation I face!  Amen and amen!

(First Published on December 19, 2013)

1 comment:

  1. Wynn buffet closed | DrmCD
    The Buffet at Wynn is a one-of-a-kind buffet in 평택 출장안마 Las 제천 출장샵 Vegas 화성 출장샵 with a and a 창원 출장샵 variety of food 고양 출장안마 items for all ages.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you!